Sunday, December 13, 2015

The "Echoes of My Mind"

Good Back-UP!
A few weeks ago, at one of our boat club's "Open Mics", I chose to sing a song dating back to 1963, Peter, Paul and Mary's  'Puff, the Magic Dragon'. It's an imaginary adventure of a young boy growing up in 'Honalee' but later abandoning his friend, the ageless Dragon. What surprised me most, as I looked out over the audience, the majority were mouthing the words or quietly singing along. For a few minutes we were enjoying this fantasy together.


But it is not only children who believe in imaginary dreams, all of us have done the same. Stories, especially simple stories, are a very powerful way of portraying the world where everything is for the best.  Often we are blind to the inconsistencies. As someone once pointed out, 'There is a fine line between fact and fiction'. Children and adults can easily get caught up in our need to believe in a world that is is basically good. Remember the music of Vera Lynn during WWII:

There'll be love and laughter
And peace ever after
Tomorrow
Just you wait and see.

I am still waiting to see! There have been over two-hundred wars since Vera Lynn expressed that hope! As a matter of fact, there has been a war some place in the world, since the day I was born! So much for 'peace everafter'. This reality urged me to stop and think about the many convictions and beliefs I held  that have become, like Puff himself, swept away in the wind of reaching for maturity.

No doubt my early perceptions of the world were related to where I grew up. And rightly so. Most of us don't live outside our social, cultural and legal environments. Whether we like it or not, we depend on others to survive and would have a difficult time attempting to exist in a social vacuum. On the other hand I am not drifting towards Franz Kafka's view that the world is essentially chaotic.

In spite of my need to be 'together with others in the world', there is always a sphere of personal existence where I must think and act independently. I have learned from children who naturally are curious and constantly ask the question "why"! This octogenarian believes it's important for me to do the same and examine a life time of thoughts and beliefs. I should not be afraid to ask, how I know something to be true; where are the inconsistencies; are my convictions really mine; do I hold this thought because of what others say; do I believe that because it's comfortable? Or the really big question: Why bother, I am too old to probe around..let it be!

I have learned to abandon some cherished philosophic and 'rock solid' beliefs that provided much comfort in life. But in so doing, there is always the residue of asking myself, what if I am wrong? As any writer worth his or her salt would say once again, 'there is a very fine line between fact and fiction.'
Google Image

There are those who believe we are entering the post-literate world where the moving image is king and that so many are not interested in learning, but are simply 'hungry for distraction'. However, retirement has blessed me with the time and patience to explore the valleys and caves of my own mind and to discover new and wonderful things about my tiny place in the world.

Perhaps the only possible way to find "peace ever after", is in the "echoes of my mind". It was great knowing you, Puff!


And that's Dick's View of the World this Week


Did You Know?
There are five key points in the Paris Agreement on climate change. In the U.S., combined wind and solar, only generate less that 5% of their electricity. It's a long way to Paris!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome - positive or negative. Thanks for your support.