Monday, October 27, 2014

Pass the Mushrooms Please!

Anthony of Padua
Years ago Maureen and I were on a bus tour through Italy. One of the less interesting stops was the village of Padua, the site of the Basilica Pontificia di Saint'Antonio di Paddova. It is here that the Franciscan monk Saint Anthony is buried. He is the saint you pray to if you have lost something!  In the latter part of his life he used to go to an abandoned castle, once owned by Count Tisco, to pray. It is believed that at least on one occasion he experienced a vision. Apparently visions were often attributed to the hermits and monks who went to dwell in the desert or live in a cave alone. A fellow tourist, a pharmacist by occupation, and I began discussing this phenomen. He quickly dismissed the notion and suggested that if Anthony did experience such visions he was probably eating the local mushrooms that were growing in the ruins!

Some people in our society live in 'caves' of their own making. As social animals, it is not a natural state of being in the world. This does not include people who live alone by choice or circumstances, but, at the same time, have a strong social life outside of their homes. But there are others who live among us who chose to hide their true selves behind a social mask or refuse to take responsibility for themselves, and allow others to rule their lives. No doubt some may choose seclusion because they have suffered the loss of a loved one, are suffering a mental disorder,  or just pissed off with life in general.

As an octogenarian I find I do enjoy my moments of solitude. To settle down with a good book, to listen to music, or just enjoy a beautiful day in the cockpit of our boat. There are other times I chose not to be alone and want to mix and mingle. Being alone describes a physical place with no one else around. It should not be confused with loneliness, a noun that describes an aching sadness. I remember years ago when I lost my job in Dayton, Ohio and came to Toronto where I knew hardly a soul. The sudden shock of being alone, in a new city without a job was definitely a very lonely time in my life.

Remember  The Great Gatsby, "The loneliest moment in some one's life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly." (F. Scott Fitzgerald)

There is no doubt that independence is a strong social need. Our history books are full of examples of people struggling to be free of the control of others. On the other hand dependence is not necessarily a weakness. I trust the hydro workers to provide me with electricity. I rely on the engineers to build a strong and safe bridge. I bank on my doctor to care for my body. I depend on Maureen to help nurture our love. There is never a perfect balance between being alone and together with others.

Google Image
To be independent is to be my own person, enjoy my own feelings and actions, to have my own thoughts and to take responsibility for myself and those I love.  But at the same time I do live in a specific cultural, social and legal world. Each of us must learn that independence and dependence must somehow fit together. I think they call it interdependence.

I don't know if the ancient hermits and monks ate magic mushrooms unaware of the hallucinatory effects. Nor do I know what circumstances drew them to their caves in the desert. It is not for me to judge. But I find it difficult to believe it was a meaningful way to spend one's life, at least measured by today's standards.

And that's Dick's View of the World this Week


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome - positive or negative. Thanks for your support.