Sunday, October 18, 2015

Almost Becoming a Spectator


Back in my youth, participating in sports was the norm in 'Auld' Saint John, New Brunswick. Organized sports only became a reality in high school. Most of our early 'equipment' was home made.  Eaton's Catalog shin pads and frozen shoe goal posts, served us well on Lily Lake. As an adult, it was fast pitch softball and sailing in the summer, and hockey and skiing in the winter.


Having been a participating sports enthusiast for many years, one would be led to believe, as I maneuver through my upper octogenarian years, I would have become a steadfast sports spectator. Not so. I followed professional hockey for a few years but lost interest. When living in the States, Saturday was football day in many of my friend's homes and, Saturday Night Hockey was usually a must here in Canada. But I was not interested! I was not a consumer of spectator sports and remained indifferent believing watching sports on TV was just a 'waste of time'. My motto: Spectator sports will never be a replacement for the real thing.

Suddenly, in the past few weeks, Blue Jays fever has seeped into the emotions of this timeworn old man and I have been slowly seduced by the excitement. Not enough excitement, mind you,  to pay big bucks to attend a game, but enough to have the TV tuned in as I move about the house!

So what is the reason for my attraction to this spectator sport? Obviously I hope the local team wins. But what if they don't? Just a few moments of disappointment and then on with our lives. Obviously I am keeping an eye on the Blue Jays, because I find there something of value.

Although the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo have invited chess and bridge to apply for inclusion in the games, Sport England has decided that, "Its all in the mind, then it's not a sport". But the controversy does remind us that not all sports are the same. Some attract  gamblers, others are drawn by the violence, by national pride, to some revitalization or artistry, or the spirit and hype of it all.

Thinking about this new interest in spectator sports, I am reminded of the old philosophical discussions about the theory of values. At my age the arguments seem hypothetical but of some interest. The philosophical question: "Do values exist objectively or subjectively?" Am I being attracted to the Blue Jays because they meet one of my needs or are the Blue Jays a 'good' in themselves? Are truth, beauty and the good, ideas that can stand on their own two feet?  Or are values simply subjective, only in the eyes of the beholder?  Oh Hell...I am off on a philosophical hunt and 'Frankly my Dear, at my age, I don't I give a shit!'

Google Images
As a social animal what attracts me to the Blue Jays hype is, not only the rituals and display of human skills, but the 'fellowship' and excitement of not being alone in the world. Togetherness, for what ever reason, is part of being human. We love the roar of the crowd, to share a common experience, to recognize our interdependence. And even more importantly, we bridge the gaps between us. Not a bad thing in this multi-cultural society!  As well, we share the unexpected and discover we have a common interest. Sharing a cause goes beyond our individual differences and lifts us above everyday life. A big sports event can do all of this and, and at the same time, give a jolt to our testosterone, dopamine and hormones!

We TV spectators, at least this individual one, share in those experiences vicariously. But not enough for me to actually travel down town! No, I am not yet a full convert to 'spectator sports'. I just have my toe in the water.  Sorry, Blue Jays.  And then there is the Maple Leaf hockey team? Whoopie Doo!

And that's Dick's View of the World this Week


Did you Know?

There has been a handful of oil refinery outages in the States this year that have disrupted the flow of gasoline and kept the price high. And, said one expert 'they don't have to give it away all at once' whenthe problem is solved!











No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome - positive or negative. Thanks for your support.