Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sorry for Your Loss!

Google Image
During summer vacations on Lake Buckhorn, near Peterborough, Ontario many years ago, Hugo, my friend and I would challenge each other to do some very stupid and risky things. Hugo was always pushing his latest challenge and I, the guy who always wanted to be first in everything, would usually take the bait. One boring afternoon he suggested an exceptionally outlandish duel. We were to jump off the dock, each with our hands and feet tied together! The winner of this bazaar contest would be the one who struggled out of the water first and managed to climb back up on the old wooden dock! What was I thinking? It wasn't a game of "chicken" with me as much as it was my need to win! I just hated to lose. On another occasion we spent a week fabricating a pair of 'water skis' and the challenge was to find out who could stay up the longest! Life jackets - never! Neither of us was successful as the damn 'skis' were far too narrow to hold our weight! And Oh! The 10hp Johnston outboard was not powerful enough to get our knees out of the water!

Hugo died a few years ago in a motorcycle accident in Vancouver.

We humans are a risk-taking species. There is no doubt that 'risk' is a big word and not easily defined. From what I read young people take more unnecessary risks than we, the 'wise' and 'mature'. The list is almost endless and would include smoking, drugs, unprotected sex and thousand of 'chicken challenges'. There are no doubt many reasons to engage in risky activities. Those reasons almost always seem good..... to win friends and respect, excitement or thrill, sensory pleasure, overcome boredom, to show-off and of course, not to be called 'chicken'. Remember the arguments, "I'll do it if you'll do it!" or "O.K., but you have to go first"

When it comes right down to it we will never emotionally grow up or enjoy any self-fulfillment unless we take many risks. 

The other day I was out walking in the cold weather following my usual route around Bridletown Circle.  On the East side of the street is a small strip-mall. A large truck was waiting to make a left turn into traffic.  I was a few yards ahead on the sidewalk when I heard this huge crash behind me. I stopped, looked toward the mall, but everything seemed normal as the truck completed the turn and headed up the street in my direction. I concluded something large and heavy had fallen over in the back of the enclosed truck. The driver sped up and disappeared around the next bend in the road. When I reached the intersection the truck was stopped, lights flashing and the back was wide open. The driver was re-stacking a large number of gas cylinders that had fallen over on the turn. Apparently he had not secured them properly and many had crashed to the floor when he made the sharp turn into traffic. As far as I know those cylinder could have blown the truck and probably me off the street! Life is a risky business even when you go out for some exercise!

Birth itself is a risk. Every time we get in the car, or board a plane, ride on the subway, invest in a house, marry, have children or put on skis or skates, we take a risk. But these are the risks we must take and no one will call you 'chicken' if you don't try.

In the early 1970's I read a book by the Swiss Psychiatrist Dr. Elizabeth Kubler-Ross entitled On Death and Dying. She once wrote, "Consciously or not, we are all on a quest for answers, trying to learn the lessons of life. We grapple with fear and guilt. We search for meaning, love and power. We try to understand fear, loss and time. We seek to discover who we are and how we can become truly happy."

Dr. Kugler-Ross died in 2004.
A Very Short Life

As an octogenarian I know that the thousands of risks I have taken in life, and the many more I still hope to make, will be well worth the challenge. But I also know the paradox that someday I won't be the first to lose my life. Some lose life early, like three year old Elijah who froze to death this week in Toronto.  What else can we say but, "We are so sorry for your loss." Both his loss of life and the families loss of a child.


And that's Dick's View of the World this Week

Did you know?
In Davos, Switzerland Premier Li Keqiang of China recently said, "China has no intention to compete with other countries for supremacy." That's consoling - I think!




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome - positive or negative. Thanks for your support.