Monday, December 1, 2014

Don't be a Lazy Bastard, and Live Longer

Last weekend came and went and my weekly blog did not  meet my deadline! I must apologize to all my faithful readers east and west, - for not producing. Do I have an excuse - NO. But damn it, I feel disappointed!

Google Image
We flew down to Saint John, not to be confused with St. John's, Newfoundland - also a nice place - to celebrate my brother's 90th birthday. Am I explaining or is this an excuse? Anyway, two of my sisters were there, both in their 80's and lots of cousins and friends from different parts of Canada. But I could not help asking myself, what am I doing with all these old brothers and sisters? ((My younger brother is just a kid in his late 70's!) The answer is simple, at 85 I belong to this new class recently referred to as the Oldest Old. We are among the fortunate to still be able to enjoy life and each other.

The problem with disappointment is that it makes me feel sad and unfulfilled. Last week's no-blog did not work out the way I wanted and, that of course, lead to lack of confidence. On the other hand I needed to remind myself why I write a blog every week in the first place. As stated above - because it is fun (and it is !) and because it presents a challenge and opportunity to learn something new about myself. And by the way, I am pleased so many of you seem to enjoy the stories and thoughts of this old octogenarian.

In reality it is no big deal! A little humility, I have been told, is good for you, as we put ourselves in a position to learn new lessons about living. But there is even more about healthy living.

There are lots of new discoveries available these days regarding brain chemicals, or neurotransmitters and what happens when we have different reactions to the various emotional responses in life - like stress and disappointment. For example stress releases endorphins that are much like morphine  and codeine that can minimize our discomfort. But one thing I learned was how important regular exercise is to this whole emotional process. 

Exercise builds muscle strength, helps the heart and keeps off extra weight. But now, even more important to the aging lot (everyone!) it improves our mood and helps us cope with stress. Apparently the increased blood flowers neurotrophic factors that stimulate the growth of new neutrons that nourish the brain. But even better, you don't have to run marathons to get the best results!

An English Longitudinal Study tracked 3500 people for many years. The purpose was to study the importance of physical activity and how it effected depression and dementia. Those in the group who sustained regular physical activity did the best. And one of the major conclusions of the study was to rank inactivity alongside smoking, excessive drinking and obesity as one of "the leading causes of reduced life expectancy in developed countries." If that won't get you out from behind the desk or off the love seat, nothing will.

So I missed putting out a blog last week - Big Deal! See, the neurotrophic factors are at work and I am not depressed, sad, overcome by grief or even pissed off because I happen to be hooked on exercise.

James Thurber, the American cartoonist and author, invites us not to look backward in anger, nor forward in fear, but around us in awareness. And Hippocrates wrote years ago, "Walking is man's best medicine."

See you at the gym.

And that's Dick's View of the World this Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome - positive or negative. Thanks for your support.